Monday, August 13, 2007

Special moments...

Isn’t it a beautiful thing to witness a baby transition from wakefulness to slumber? I was feeding the baby a bottle of expressed milk the other night, and he was very awake at first—I think he was making sure I wouldn’t try to remove this nectar of the Gods before he took in every last drop. In fact he was staring at me intently with those gorgeous blue eyes which of course made me stare right back!

But after about 10 minutes he started to waver. His eyelids became so heavy and I watched his beautiful eyes glaze over with a sweet, sweet peacefulness.

I wondered about that moment of change. The poem with the line “slipped the surly bonds of earth” speaks of that moment of transitioning from one realm to another. Maybe it’s like the space between our heartbeats? Just a transition to the next beat.

All I know is that I loved holding my son in that moment as his little body melted into mine.

And don’t let me get started on how Susanne and I adore watching him in the morning as he moves from being “groggy boy” to “bright-eyed smiley boy”. I do believe that if we could capture the kilowatts generated by his smile we could somehow reduce our energy consumption!

Have a great day everybody! -Monica

No comments: