Monday, November 18, 2013

Manifesto...(or is it?)

Back about seven years ago when Su was pregnant with Danny, I read a blogger’s “manifesto” for her child. As I recall, she had not yet had her baby, and she had written this very powerful, almost strident essay I'd say, on all the things she wanted/needed/hoped for her child-to-be. I remember feeling a little overwhelmed for the new kid and he/she wasn't even born yet. Anyway...

I’m pretty sure I couldn’t find it again if I tried, but every once in a while I think back on it, and wonder what she thinks about that manifesto now.  And I guess I think too, that maybe it’s not a worthwhile exercise to create manifestos for anyone other than ourselves. If we live the lives we are proud of and at peace with, isn’t that the most we can give to our children?

So here's a manifesto that I think I can say speaks to me. I'd like to think others can see these things in me (especially our boys) but if not, I guess I'd better change my ways, or write a new "manifesto". Here goes...

Danny and Benji when they were about 1 and 3.

The two boys blossoming into a 3 and a 6 year old.


… we should all know that:

We are loveable and loved.

We can make another person’s day and life so much brighter with a kind word or gesture. This costs us nothing and is worth so much to someone else.

We get to choose every day how to react to any situation. (This goes for times that others are mean or life is unfair.)

Feelings aren’t right or wrong. They just are.

We all have different strengths. Figuring out our own and each others is a good thing.

The messages we send are not always the messages that are received. That’s why it’s good to confirm.

When we are most scared, most hurt and most alone—these are the times that our faith WILL comfort and help us (if we've really internalized what we've learned).

And lastly from the Greek philospoher Heraclitus. The road up and the road down is one and the same.

That's enough deep thinking for the day.  Have a great one! -Monica

No comments: