Tuesday, March 01, 2011

Make Way for Babies!

For those of you who know me in real life, you know that we have a really dear friend named Luis who I first met about 10 years ago when we started working together. He is one of our Danny's Godfathers (lucky boy has 2 Godfathers), and well anyway, Luis and his partner Steve decided, a few years ago, that they wanted to start a family. It took some time, but through the grace of God they are now fathers to three gorgeous little boys--Joaquin is about 10 weeks old, and twins Alex and Reggie are about 6 weeks old.

Their story is unique and I highly recommend you check out their blog called 2Men3Babies (it's also listed on our blog roll).

Well the exciting news is that they should be returning sometime later this month from the country of India where the IVF and labor and delivery took place. (Oh and all that stuff in between the IVF and the labor--bless the women who carried these dear children).

I think I'll let some of Luis's words from his blog speak for themselves. This is from a letter he wrote to his oldest son a few days after Joaquin was born--before Luis or Steve had even met him...

Joaquin,

Where do I start? What do I say first? You are 9 days old today and I have not yet had the opportunity to see you, hold you, or tell you how much I love you.  Daddy Steve is leaving tomorrow to be with you and I will soon follow.  I was talking about you today and it was suggested that I write you a letter.  Although I know that you can't yet read my words I pray that you can feel your Dad's love all the way over there as I count the moments until I can hold you in my arms.

When Daddy Steve arrives I am sending him with the fabric chord that has held the cross that I bought when Steve and I first departed to India to begin this journey.  I will ask Steve to take a piece of this chord and tie it around your little ankle or wrist so that you have a little part of me with you and know how much I want to be there with you.  When your siblings arrive in a few weeks I will take the remaining chord and will divide the remainder and finalize the sharing of the chord that has held all of my hopes and dreams of you and our family.

Speaking of our family, there may be those who will be confused or even question how it is that your daddies used a "non-traditional" way to bring you into their lives.  I want you to know that you were born in the most fundamentally traditional way, out of our love for one another.  Your daddies so loved each other that they wanted to expand that love and share that with you.  We had a number of Angels who helped in bringing you to us.

Son, I vow that I will try to be the best man that I can be for you and our family.  My heart is filled with such love and hope for you.  We are so happy that you are part of our lives and only ask that you continue to grow strong and healthy.  On the eve before Steve leaves to be with you and at the end of the year 2010, I look towards the new year and I pray for continued blessings and health.


Isn't that the sweetest letter you ever saw? I can't wait to see their little family of five soon! Have a great day everyone! -M

Here is a pic from Danny's baptism. Luis is right behind Susanne with the glasses and green tie.

No comments: