Thursday, October 16, 2008

Are blogs just soap operas on steroids?

One of my favorite people in the world loves All My Children. To this day she tapes it every night so she can watch it when she gets home. This has been going on a long time. Heck, I can remember watching it with her when we were in high school and that was the 70s!

Soaps are fun right? You get to watch snippets of people's lives, experience intense drama, and before you know it there is a whole new episode to watch.

Aren't blogs like that? But instead of being addicted to maybe one or two, you get to be addicted to 15 or 30 or whatever. And better yet, even though I know I'll never meet Susan Lucci in real life, you know what? I know a bunch of my favorite bloggers in real life. I love that.

Not much has changed in the 20+ years of All My Children from what I gather. I wonder if that will be true for all of our blogs?

-Monica

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've definitely become addicted to blogging as of late. I just checked and I have 91 blogs in my Google Reader! What's wrong with me and is there a help group?

I never got into the soaps after my Grandma forced me to watch them when I was little. I did turn them on a few months back and recognize some of the same characters from my childhood. Weird.

Jenni said...

I've always thought that reading blogs totally brings out my inner voyeur. I feel like I get to read everyone's personal diary. And even though I would never actually read anyone's personal diary, that doesn't mean I don't want to.

Gald you liked the story about my mom. I think it is evey funnier when you've actually met her :)

Martin said...

Yeah, sure!

If there's one thing you can't compare my blog to, it's "All my children"....

You couldn't make this stuff up...

;0)

Susanica said...

Hi Xbox buddy. I have no doubt that reading your blog would give the writers of All My Children great ideas. In the end they'd have you and ET get pregnant with dectuplets and they'd all be identical. But would they look like you or her? Or I know! 5 identical boys that would look like you and 5 identical girls who would look like you. You could give them all names in alphabetical order like in the movie 7 Brides for 7 Brothers. Whoa. Stop me. Stop me now! -Monica

Martin said...

There's a mighty imaginaton you have there m'am!

I'm sure we have a few soap-like twists to come.

My sisters used to LOVE 7 brides for 7 brothers!

Susanica said...

Well bless their beautiful hides! -M

P.S. What's with the m'am, sir?

Martin said...

Just being polite!

Stimey said...

That's an interesting way to look at it. It's a weird little subculture, huh?

I think I'll start referring to my Google Reader as "my stories."