Monday, January 03, 2011

Happy New Year everyone

Hi there friends and family. I know it's been a while since I've blogged, but with my mom doing so poorly and then passing away on Christmas, it's been a tough time. The wake and the funeral were both very lovely. I like to think that I'm doing pretty well with everything--she is in a better place I know, but at the most random times I think of something and I'm moved to tears. I miss her.

Susanne and the boys traveled to Minnesota too and that was really special. Our dear friend Amy and her family were kind enough to let us stay with them and that was wonderful medicine for the soul. The boys had other kids to play with and I got to see some friends I had not seen in ages too. Danny and Benji also loved playing with their cousins which was really nice.

I think that at the wake the part that kept choking me up was looking at her hands. Those hands that had wiped away so many tears and held me in her arms. I used to have terrible earaches as a kid and mom could always comfort me like no other.  Everyone had such touching and funny stories to tell. She was laid to rest in a grave between her father and her husband (our dad) and somehow that seems so right to me.

So we are now back home and life goes on. We've had unseasonably warm weather in DC so on the night of January 1st I put the boys to bed in their flannel one piece PJs and covered them both with a comforter for Danny and a sleep sack for Benji. At around 10 pm Danny woke up sweating and complaining that he was hot and thirsty. It was 60 degrees out! I had no idea. I kept thinking "honey, I've melted the kids!"

Fortunately they did not really melt but they slept that night just fine with no covers. Of course now two days later it was 28 degrees at night so all is back to normal. I just have to remember what normal is.

Alrighty then. Back to life. Sigh... -M

No comments: