Thursday, January 11, 2007

On my to do list

Posting to this blog is one of those items on my mental "to do" list that I just figure I don't have to think much about. I've always been pretty good at remembering, organizing and priortizing. And I've also had a few odd mental abilities. As Susanne will tell you, we can go grocery shopping and without even looking at the prices of anything I take a guess at the check out counter and be amazingly close to our real total. Like within pennies. It's odd.

When I was in school I played basketball. I was able to remember every point I ever scored. Where I was on the floor, who gave me the assist--I could literally see it all in my mind. Granted I was never a really high scorer but I did alright. This ability to remember such things that has always been a gift (or curse.) I guess my mind is like a steel trap--it's just getting rusty after all these years.

So lately even though I'm not the one who is pregnant, I feel like I'm the one dealing with the memory loss in our family. On one hand this is good. My anxieties are much lower when I don't have little "tasks" clogging up my brain. On the other hand this is bad. Because my anxieties get much higher when something that I should have taken care of days ago is suddenly due now.

I guess my tasks don't "look" like they used to. I think I've always "seen" images of thinks I need to remember. And once I remember one thing a whole spider's web of associated tasks come forward. But now my images look sort of like clear plastic. This is hard to explain, but that's the only way I can think of to articulate this. So it's like I recognize that something needs to be done but I really have to stop and think about what it is. Maybe my brain is full?

Thank goodness for my electronic calendar and written checklists. So, now taking a glance at my desk I realize I'd better run or I'm going to be late. I think it might be in important meeting or something! Ciao! -Monica

P.S. Oh and I wrote about this to apologize for not blogging for the past few days!

No comments: