Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Least favorite chore?

I was just thinking that everybody must have a least favorite chore right? I happen to think that the very worst chores are the ones that must be done very regularly AND that no one else can do. Because if they don't have to be done often you can sort of get mentally prepared to tackle them when the time comes, and if someone else in your household can do something you have all kinds of negotiation strategies available to choose from. (My favorite is to offer people a dollar. You'd be amazed at what most people are willing to do for the promise of a dollar right now.)

So...I know you're now dying to know what my least favorite chore is. No contest. Getting our two kitty cats into their spacious basement playland every night. You see, if we let our lovely critters be "free range" it's horrible. They are nocturnal by nature. So all night long they race around, scratch at our doors and get up to all kinds of mischief. So they go into the basement where they have food, water, kitty litter and the run of the place.

So why is it that every night they both head for the hills? Harley can usually be coaxed downstairs with the shake of a bag of treats, but CJ! For the love of God, CJ will hide under beds, burrow into the bedroom closet and literally go limp when I try to drag her out from wherever she has hidden herself.

I repeat, they have a wonderland downstairs. I think she does it to play with my mind. And why you may wonder can't Susanne get them sometimes. Well, she is actually rather allergic to the cats. If she accidently touches her eyes after petting one of them she is miserable. Which means that I am then miserable.

So every night. The game begins. Again.

So? What's your least favorite chore? -M

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cleaning the litter box! Which, with 3 cats, needs to happen every single day. It's gross, it's messy, it's so environmentally unfriendly, and it is solely MY responsibility. But they were my kitties before we moved in together. And she does take the bags out to the trash. So yeah. Ew.

Jenni said...

Hmmm, I'd have to say it's a draw between putting away laundry and cleaning the cat boxes. That's why these are Nelson's chores. Also, takint the trash out is rough these days, but that's more of a smell sensitivity issue.

Mikki said...

Emptying the dishwasher. Kelly promises and occasionally she remembers. But not often. I HATE IT!

Anonymous said...

Doing the dishes/drying dishes from the dishwasher.

- Strawberry

Anonymous said...

Vacuuming. The sound puts me on edge like nothing else. Fortunately, the wife LOVES it. But in as small a house as we have, she now warns me when she's about to vacuum so I can go hide on the other floor.
-nutella

Matt Siemer said...

Oh, wow. Laundry for sure. Washing it, drying it, putting it away, even looking at it. All of these things are both unnerving and sad. Too bad I have to do it anyway.