Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Thought for the day

I remember when I was 18 years old being horrified at the thought that in only 12 short years, I'd be 30. Can you imagine? Thirty years old! At the time, 30 years of age seemed pretty much equivalent to death. But now it doesn't seem so old at all. Funny how that works.

Why you may ask would I reflect back on that memory? Well you see, last week, in the mail, I got something from AARP. Yes, the organization formerly known as the American Association of Retired People. When you turn 50 they mail you your AARP card and even though you get all kinds of discounts on stuff, let's face it--you're officially old. It's a very unsettling rite of passage from what I can tell.

Well, the good news is that I'm not 50 yet. I have until September to suffer that indignity. But as I was fading to sleep the other night it suddenly dawned on me that when you are 50 you are only 20 years away from being 30.

And 70.

Maybe someday I'll write "But now it doesn't seem so old at all".

Not likely. -M

No comments: