Friday, January 25, 2008

Still shaking my head...

I don’t know how many of you caught this news story from earlier this month. President Bush took a trip to the Mideast and visited the Sea of Galilee. The AP reported the following:

After touring the Mount of Beatitudes, overlooking banana groves, a grinning Bush held hands with two elderly nuns, laughing with them and posing for pictures with their digital camera. A larger group of nuns later gave Bush a crystal statue inscribed with words from the fabled Sermon on the Mount, recounted in Matthew Chapter 5: "Blessed are those who are peacemakers for they will be called children of God."

I was very much struck by this and saddened in all honestly. The opposite of a peacemaker is a warmaker. Funny how my spell check will let me write “peacemaker” but not “warmaker”.

I also found myself wondering how this beatitude would have to be changed to something like “damned are those who are warmakers…you get the picture.

I heard yesterday that Dennis Kucinich had dropped out of the race for president and even though I hadn’t really learned much about his campaign it was mentioned that he had had the idea to make a Department of Peace. I thought that was pretty cool. What did Einstein once say? “You cannot simultaneously prevent and prepare for war.” Profound I say. -Monica

No comments: