Thursday, May 15, 2008

Monumental!

This is an excerpt from and MSNBC news story that was posted earlier today.

“SAN FRANCISCO - In a monumental victory for the gay rights movement, the California Supreme Court overturned a voter-approved ban on gay marriage Thursday in a ruling that would allow same-sex couples in the nation's biggest state to tie the knot. Domestic partnerships are not a good enough substitute for marriage, the justices ruled 4-3 in an opinion written by Chief Justice Ron George.”

The article goes on to quote the governor:

"I respect the court's decision and as governor, I will uphold its ruling," said Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger in a statement. "Also, as I have said in the past, I will not support an amendment to the constitution that would overturn this (ruling)."

I can’t tell you how thrilled I feel right now. I’ll write more on this later. Right now I just want to reiterate again that this is fantastic news! -Monica

No comments: