Tuesday, August 26, 2008

It's the "new" guilt

I know I’ve written longer posts before about leaving the Catholic Church when Cardinal Ratzinger was chosen as Pope. I like to think that I didn’t leave the church, it left me. Yes, he’s the one who says that gay people raising children are committing violence against those children. Ummm…I beg to differ.

But I will not start my rant on that subject now. The info above is just a prelude to this story.

A few years ago I was chatting with a Jewish friend of mine and we came up with the idea that the difference between Catholic guilt and Jewish guilt was that Catholics worry that God will be disappointed with them, while Jewish people worry that their mothers will be disappointed with them

Yes, we thought this was quite clever.

I’d kind of forgotten about this until the other day when I was telling Susanne that I didn’t know what made me feel more guilty—the fact that I was late to work way too often, or the fact that my bosses still seemed to think awfully darn highly of me.

She smiled at me and said I didn’t need to feel guilt any more.

“You’re a Lutheran now.”

Wow! Who knew!

I’m still chuckling. But…I was a bit late to work again today and I must admit I still feel guilty. I guess I’m just not really a good Lutheran yet! -Monica

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"...while Jewish people worry that their mothers will be disappointed with them"

Ha! Perfect, and true.

Anonymous said...

That's fantastic. I always wondered why I felt so bad if I was ever a few minutes late to jobs.