Sunday, June 06, 2010

Word to the wise...

When you take your child to his or her 3 year old well baby checkup, DO NOT confidently stress to him or her that he or she will not get any shots.

I know. I know. You've read all the info. You know that this is an "easy peasy" visit where they check that all systems are go, and then do a few developmental tests like have the tyke draw a circle or two, identify a few colors and try to stand on one foot with their arms in the air. All the literature says that there are no vaccinations due at this visit, so you are easily drawn into a sort of happy go lucky complacency.

That is until the doc informs you that there is some new improved vaccine of some sort that they are now recommending all 3 year olds get.

So now, not only are you now a liar, you're basically an evil, pain causing liar.

Thank goodness there is a McDonalds right across the street from the doctor's office. For all my efforts to be "that mom"-- the one with organic goodies and lactose free whatever, when the going gets tough, this woman scoots into Micky D's for a sure to please Happy Meal. (Only 7.5 times in his 3 year old life, but it it sort of becoming a pattern for me.)

Will he ever trust me again? Will I ever regain my self respect? Stay tuned. This could be something that comes up in therapy somewhere down the line.

Sorry Danny. I'll keep my huge mouth shut next time. At least I'll try. Love you. -Mommy

No comments: