Friday, December 08, 2006

Musings of a mom to be

Yesterday I had two experiences that really struck me in terms of our future motherhood. I was talking with a receptionist on the phone at a pediatrician’s office that we'll most likely go to once the baby arrives. Anyway we were sort of scheduling when Susanne and I should come for the first time. As I was talking to her I was putting appointments in my electronic calendar and I realized that I’d not yet put any entry into our due date of June 11th. Well of course we don’t know exactly when the baby will arrive so it’s not like we can really schedule anything, but I was just struck by how concrete it was to put something in the calendar regarding our baby. So this was kind of cool. I did put an entry on June 11th about "tentative arrival" or something like that. It just seemed really fascinating to me somehow.

Then on the Metro ride home I heard someone asking someone else if she had children. (The woman had been playing peek-a-boo with the other one’s toddler so it was a perfectly fine question.) They proceeded to chat away about their children and the whole conversation really made me think about the times in my life when I’ve been asked that question. The answer has always been “no, but I have lots of nieces blah, blah, blah etc….” That is still true or course, but come June, God willing, I’ll be able to start answering that affirmatively. I can imagine future me saying “You betcha, our little boy is 1 now” or “Why yes, I have a three year old daughter” or something to that effect. That seems really neat to me. We are going to be moms!

I bet that our baby’s biological mom, my sweet Susanne, wishes that we could take turns every other day or so with this carrying the baby business. Today she’s not feeling very well at all and, believe me, if I could give her a break from all the work she’s putting into gestating this little one I surely would. As it is, I’ll just keep doing my best to support her in any way she needs.

We are looking forward to a fun weekend. On Saturday we’ll see a friend of Su’s who lives in California but is in DC now supervising a field trip. Gosh she’s going to be exhausted I bet. It will be fun I'm sure. The rest of the weekend we’ll spend working on our annual holiday letter and visiting with Su’s dad. Should be pretty relaxed I think. Oh, and we’re going to put our Christmas lights up. And we’re going to finish plastering the guest room. And we have to wrap my family’s gifts. And…did I say relaxed? -Monica

No comments: