Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Our little…

Susanne and I were talking this morning about how little boys and little girls are socialized so differently in our society. Think about how little boy outfits are all about sports or trucks while little girls outfits are more along the lines of Strawberry Shortcake and Barbie.

“Snips and snails and puppy dog tails” are what little boys are made of while little girls are made of "sugar and spice and everything nice." Or so they say...

I was thinking about the phrase “my little man”. You hear this often enough especially when someone has dressed a little boy in a miniature coat and tie or other such "adult" clothes. It sounds so cute to make him into our little man. With girls? When dressed up we may call her “my little lady” (which sort of seems so prim and Victorian) but never “my little woman.” Is it because if a little girl dresses like an adult she is sexualized, but if a boy dresses like an adult he is not?

Hmmm….I’ll have to think more about this. I'd like to think that we’ll raise either a son or a daughter in the same way, but I’m not sure that is possible. And what is a snip? I should definitely find out if we end up with a boy right ;-) -M

No comments: