Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Weighing on my mind...

What’s on my mind today? Clutter. Stuff. Never ending tasks.

Maybe it’s human nature to get everything all cleaned up and then slowly descend into the maddening hell that is “mess” and start all over again.

I guess this is how Sisyphus must have felt. You know, Sisyphus—the guy who the gods had condemned to ceaselessly rolling a rock to the top of a mountain, and once he got to the top the stone would fall back of its own weight. The gods had the idea that there would me no more dreadful punishment than futile and hopeless labor. Those sound like smart gods to me.

My best friend from high school came out to visit us this weekend (along with her family which included an adorable four month old granddaughter named Audrey.) Anyway, Terilyn and I totally strolled down memory lane and basically spent the whole weekend cracking up. This woman is seriously funny. And wonderful.

But one of the things we talked about was her memory of how no one could ever come to visit and play at my family’s house. I hadn't thought about that in a long time. Gosh, we grew up in a very chaotic world with 7 kids all about a year apart and a few of my brothers were very destructive. I remembered well the shame about anyone seeing our house. I also remember that our mom was ALWAYS cleaning and that the place was ALWAYS a disaster. I can’t imagine how frustrating it must have been for her.

Today Su and I live in a beautiful, organized house. But I still have some of those same feelings of discomfort and shame when people come over. Even if it's NOT messy.


Now that's messed up.

We actually pay a very nice woman to come ever two weeks and really give the place a top to bottom cleaning. She’s awesome, and I shudder to think what our bathrooms (and the house in general) would look like without her help. I should just shut up and be grateful I know.

But the real kicker is that we still have so much to do every day to keep things organized and neat. Cats and food shopping, and trash and dishes and laundry and making various appointments (oh and caring for our beautiful infant son.) And that’s before I even write my “to do” list. Thank God for Susanne I tell you.

And another thing. I swear I watched a movie in elementary school that promised that by the year 2000 robots would take care of everything. Liars! So the point of my post is that I’m sometimes I feel overwhelmed. I think I’d prefer to just feel “whelmed”. I may need a dose of my Susanax. ;-) -Monica

No comments: