Thursday, July 24, 2008

Human Being? Or Human Doing?

So as humans we all have many identities right? Hair color and gender for example. But there are more examples. Level of education, profession, geographic location. We have a lot in common with others in the same "worlds".

But I was thinking about how when I trained for that marathon I posted about a few days ago, I thought that after I ran that marathon I would BE a marathoner.

But I wasn't. I was, and forever will be, a person who once ran a marathon.

So what is the difference? I've got to admit that I don't really know.

But I do know that when Su was pregnant with Danny, I knew that I was going to BECOME a mom--not just be a person who was raising a child.

And now that baby number two is incubating it dawns on me that the birth of this child will not change my newfound identity as a mother. I already am one. And that feels very different than when we were waiting for our first born.

Just a deep thought that I'm tossing around in my head today. Have a good one. -Monica

No comments: