Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Please rise as you are able...

As we go through life we all meet people who touch us deeply. Sometimes it’s a person’s intellect, or their wittiness, or their kindness…in all honesty it doesn’t really matter what it is that makes us come to love them.

As I think about my life, there is definitely a special group of people who have taken up a permanent place in my heart. Unexpectedly running into them or getting a call or e-mail from them makes me smile. Learning of their happy news makes me gush with enthusiasm. And conversely, receiving sad news about them overwhelms me with sadness.

Yesterday I learned that a dear man who was my boss for several years fell off his roof. His name is George, and I don’t know the details of why he was up there (perhaps cleaning gutters or fireworks?) but I know that he’s in the intensive care unit with multiple fractures and serious brain injuries.

Have you ever heard of the theory of hubs and spokes? Think of someone you know who walks into a room and everyone lights up. That person is a hub. George is the epitome of a hub. The rest of us are spokes who circle around him and bask in his energy. We are drawn to people like him because they brighten our worlds.

I am praying with all my heart that George recovers from this terrible accident. I dreamed last night that he was fine and we were in his hospital room and I was kidding him about gravity. “How could you have forgotten about gravity?” I remember kidding him in my dream. He came back with some clever remark about Newton’s Law or something. It was very sad to wake up and realize it was just a dream. I guess I’m hoping it was a sign. A sign of conversations yet to come.

Get well soon dear friend. The world’s not as bright as it was before you went to sleep. -Monica

No comments: