Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Walking in a Winter Whaleyland...

My dad once made the offhand comment that he liked whales. You see, he’d always liked soothing music/nature tapes (aka that weird music dad liked) and I think his comment came from liking those sounds.

This revelation was like a Godsend for all of us, his now adult children. For every special day from then on out dad got whale themed something as gifts. Whale tee-shirts, sculptures, posters, photo frames, whistles—you name it, our dad got it. Until the moratorium came.

“NO MORE WHALES PLEASE!”

Turns out that he liked whales, but he didn’t like them that much.

So what made me think of this?

Danny loves trucks. And I know for a fact that a fair number of the gifts that await him for Christmas are trucks (or their equally fun cousins “trains”). And there is a very good reason for this. When people asked what to get him we said “TRUCKS! TRAINS!” (Well, maybe I did this a little more than Susanne.)

Anyway, I’m pretty sure there will be no moratorium on trucks issued by our boy this year. Actually I know he’ll be delighted and that our living room will look something like a miniature parking lot. At a construction site. “Beep, beep, vroom, vroom!” (not as soothing as whale sounds but wonderful sounds nonetheless.)

If my dad were still alive today I know he'd like the sound of that ;-) Monica

1 comment:

Casey said...

That's funny, it reminded me of my Gram mentioned that she liked pigs once and getting decades worth of pig gifts, even though she wasn't all that into them.
Danny sounds a lot like Graham, last year trucks were the item of choice and we got about ten million of them. Now half of them are in the garage since he decided to use them as step ladders to get on the counter!