Monday, September 28, 2009

Eternity! When will it ever end?

It all started innocently enough. In college one of my work study jobs was that of a “replenisher” for the salad bar in the cafeteria. Lettuce, carrots, shredded cheeses, dressings…whatever we had on the line, my job was there was to make sure we didn’t run out. So I cut things up and brought out new stuff as it was needed. I didn’t think much one way or the other about this job at the time. It seemed pretty mindless and easy, and come to think of it, it was.


After all, I didn’t have to order the food, estimate how much we’d need, or even pay for it. Yup. It was pretty easy.

But as it turns out, the one thing I did not comprehend at that time was that no matter what I studied, or did for an occupation after college, this skill of “replenisher” was the real core competency that I’d need to really internalize.

What am I talking about you ask?
  • Diapers
  • Baby Wipes
  • Coffee
  • Sugar
  • Kitty litter
  • Cat food
  • Toilet paper
  • Diaper bag contents
  • Shampoos and soaps
  • Beverages
  • Groceries
  • Ice cubes
  • Laundry
  • Dishwasher
  • Gasoline
Of course now I do have to think ahead and estimate and pay and stuff too. Sigh. At least in college I was compensated. Of course it was only $2.25 an hour. But hey, that’s more than I make doing all this stuff now! What the what?

P.S. Full disclosure. I do not have to do all of these things myself. My lovely wife also "gets to" share in the fun!

No comments: