Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Life is But a Song...

So every day Susanne drops me off downtown and I walk about a quarter mile to my job cutting through Lafayette Park in DC. This is what I see every day, and every day I think about that time that will come when the current administration will say goodbye. (To which I’ll silently wish them good riddance.)

Well this afternoon I was invited to a luncheon for EMILY’s List where I got to hear speeches by several women senators including Amy Klobuchar from Minnesota, Clare McCaskill from Missouri, Hillary Rodham Clinton from New York and the Speaker of the House, Nancy Pelosi. They were all very good and I found myself wondering if people develop good speaking skills when they get involved in politics or if it's the other way around. Speaker Pelosi cracked everyone up when she said the question she gets asked most is what is it like being Speaker of the House.

“What’s it like being Speaker of the House? It’s FANTASTIC being Speaker of the House!” she quipped.

I loved it. I’ve never aspired to political office, and I’m not even sure yet who I’ll support for President in 2008, but in that room of over 1000 women this afternoon I felt really proud. Like if life were a musical everyone would have been singing a little of Helen Reddy’s “I Am Woman Hear Me Roar” and “Free to Be You and Me”.

I'm glad I got the chance to go and I think I'll hum those songs when I walk down Pennsylvania Ave. tomorrow! -Monica

No comments: